Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Spanish Culture

I'm in Spain......Spain! I still can't believe it sometimes. I catch myself some mornings thinking...wow, I'm literally waking up in Spain; this is not a dream. Being as this is my first time ever visiting Europe, of course I was a bit scared but also very excited. Who knew what was coming my way.


Shockingly, the culture in Spain is a lot more different than what I expected and more different than the Mexican-American culture that I'm use to. For instance, Spanish is my first language and I knew that they talk a bit different but never made a big deal about it....until now. Although knowing that EspaƱol, speaking with people in Spain is always an adventure. Some talk really fast or even another dialect (Valenciano-local language). On the bright side, I have two more people (Eric and Jose) to help out and translate any mumbo jumbo for the rest of group.

The way people interact with each other and live is quite different than back in the U.S. People in Spain tend to be more relax and sociable.  They really take pride in sitting down and communicating with one another about life, work, school, etc. Everyone is ether walking to their destination or taking some sort of public transportation. People are friendly and actually greet you even if you are total strangers and don;t speak the same language. One very unique thing that is completely different is their work schedule. Basically, this is how it goes: 8 am to about ten thirty you work, then you take about a forty-five to an hour coffee break called almuerzo (equivalent to brunch), then work until 2 pm; and that is when you take lunch. Lunch is a very big deal here and lasts about a couple of hours. Lunch is their biggest meal of the day and the time where people interact with each other. After lunch, most people take a siesta (nap) then return to work for a few more hours. I'm still getting use to the work schedule but from my experience, I feel like this schedule reduces stress and lets you enjoy life. It certainly has for me.



Let me tell you, the sites here, are spectacular! Just walking down the street from our flat and towards the beach you see beautiful graffiti everywhere (they actually encourage it) and amazing architecture. The beach is just beautiful and all of the cathedrals, museums, and historic monuments/buildings are breathtaking. They are a site to see. I can literally stay at the beach or in the city center just observing the different views and structures that surround me. There were some sights though that really caught me off guard. Topless women at the beach. Every one, no matter what the age or gender, smokes. Everyone seems to own a well-trained dog. Bars that are opened right around the corner of a church. You just don't see this in Texas.



So far, I really love the culture here in Spain. The work schedule seems to be one of my favorite aspects. It gives you more time to do what you want, like go to the beach. Some challenges I have though is trying to get use to the smell of dog droppings all along the streets. Since almost everyone owns a dog and walks them daily, the dirty area on the sidewalk is filled with dog droppings; but the one thing that I absolutely dislike is the smoking. Seriously. EVERYONE smokes. Anyone from the age of thirteen and above. I've been in Valencia for two weeks now and it still shocks me when about 80% of the people that I pass is smoking. Other than the smoking, I really love the culture here in Valencia. I love how social people are here and the many different shops that keep the city running. The locals are Valencia's identity. Without them the city is a hollow shell.


Til' next time. Hasta Luego!!

No comments:

Post a Comment