Sunday, June 26, 2016

Career Aspirations!

Coming to Spain has opened up a whole new world for me. There are a bunch of beautiful sights to see, food to eat, and people to meet. Studying civil engineering back in the states is incredible and I've learned a lot but Spain is just unbelievable. The way their roads, buildings, and other infrastructure is built differently than in the states. Their roads are much narrower because of the tram (train) and crosswalks are further away from the actual intersection. One of the biggest differences are the roundabouts. It makes traffic run more smoothly in a more safer and efficient way. Almost every building here has flats (apartments) on the upper floors and restaurants, bars, stores on the bottom floors. They optimize their space very well and make trips for people much shorter. It is safe to say that the exposure to this study abroad experience has expanded my passion for civil engineering. It has filled my mind with bright ideas and deigns for buildings, roads, bridges, etc.


I plan to use this international experience for preparation on my future design classes and for my current job in land development. This experience has given me the chance to practice my technical, leadership, and communication skills with people from a completely different culture. The things I see, for instance the roundabouts, compact buildings, abundance of walk/bike paths, can help me with future projects that require a special or complicated design. I will have the greater advantage since I was exposed to it constantly in Valencia. As to my long term career goal in owning my own firm or being a principal, this experience has helped me realized that I can make it on my own, that nothing can stop me from achieving my goal. We were by ourselves when we first arrived but eventually found our way. We come from a different culture and environment but somehow manage to communicate with our mentors and find answers to the many questions that we have. I believe that this is a great asset to have when wanting to become a boss. You can't be afraid to be out of your comfort zone. You have to be able to go out and get what is yours. And let me tell you, Spain is definitely out of my comfort zone.



This study abroad experience has impacted my future career objectives in the way that it makes me see the bigger picture. First thing first, I have to graduate. I plan to graduate this coming December and  I couldn't be more excited. I've always planned on getting my Masters immediately after and by the looks of this study abroad experience, it is not a bad idea. It has allowed me to be more open-minded. Since Spain is an old country, they work with a lot of ancient infrastructure. Either trying to preserve it or work around it. Something that the U.S. hasn't quite come across with. Returning with this mindset and broad set of skills will only help me get ahead of the game and become more successful in any job that I come across with.


Til' next time. Hasta Luego!!

No comments:

Post a Comment