Sunday, July 3, 2016

Social Identity

Being in Spain for four weeks has definitely given me time to explore and learn the Spanish culture. Before this study abroad program, I never really had an idea of how the culture was here in Europe let alone the Spanish culture. The only thing that gave me the slightest idea of this culture was what the cinema industry portrayed of it. Growing up as a Mexican-American, I tended to mix the Latin and Spanish culture when reality, they are very different. I was exposed to some public transportation when in Mexico, like riding buses, but never to the extent to that of Spain. My first time ever riding a subway/train was here in Valencia and let me tell you, it was an experience. Most people in Spain rely on public transportation to get them from place to place or they just walk. Coming from Texas or Mexico, this was one of the biggest differences.




I come from a place where everyone thinks everything is bigger and better. That is Texas. Everyone drives from place to place; grill steaks, and/or eats at a Whataburger at any time of the day. I didn't have an expectation to the day-to-day life here in Spain but boy is it different than the U.S. As I mentioned before, the work schedule is different. They have two food breaks; one at 10:30 am and another from 2-4 pm; then people usually get off from work at 7 pm. During the 2-4 period, almost every store is closed and during the 4-7 period, almost every restaurant is closed. So you could already imagine when we got out of the science museum at 4 pm, starving. We literally had walk around for an hour until we found a restaurant called "The Good Burger", which wasn't even a traditional Spanish restaurant. I guess it is for people like us that forget Spain's general day schedule. 

One thing that people from back home told me about Spain that was true was that there was a lot of beautiful buildings and rich history. Visiting Madrid, Alicante, and even here in Valencia, the architecture is just unbelievable and the sights are just breathtaking. We visited quite a few museums which displayed artifacts and paintings about Spain's history.





Now that I've been here for a while, I can honestly say that people here in Spain are festive, pretty laid back, and live life to the fullest. I believe this is the biggest difference between Spain and the U.S. Before coming to Spain, I was always busy doing something or stressing about school or always on the move. I never had the time take siestas! Here in Valencia however, I observed that people just go with the flow. They never seemed stressed or in a hurry, not even the students in the University! Although I only worked in the mornings, my biggest worry each day is what I am going to do for the rest of day. I was so use to having something to do each day that this caught me off guard... and I love it! I actually have time to take siestas! You can say most people here look like they are happy with what have (even with the economic crisis going on) and never worry themselves about having it all. Another big cultural difference here is restaurants. Back in the U.S, usually the waiter is trying to be extra nice in order to get a big tip, always checking up on you and making sure you have a great meal. Not here in Spain. The waiters are quite pushy and always rush you into ordering. They hardly never come back to ask you if you want more. Once they bring the food, they don't come back until they see you are all done. One good though is that they give you your space and time to talk and have a good time. They don't rush into giving you your check. 

All in all, I believe people's attitude here in Valencia, Spain is conservative and laid back. They certainly have fun and take sociability very seriously but never seem to be in a hurry. I'm dearly grateful to be a part of this study abroad experience and excited to bring some of the Spanish culture back with me. It has been a great experience being thrown into a totally different culture and working with someone who has the same passion as you do. I'm sure the skills I learned her will help me in the future, whether I work in the U.S. or in any other country.



Til' next time. Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment